5 Ways I Stay Productive at my Desk

Hello friends!

Today I wanted to quickly share with you 5 ways I make the most out of my time at the desk.

I've spent a fair chunk of my life at a desk of one sort or another and to be honest, some of it could have been more productive - getting into a flow gets easier over time. Here are 5 things that work for me.




1. Routine
I have 3 simple steps that I carry out every time I sit down at my desk and when I finish at my desk. It really doesn't matter what the steps are - the consistent routine will get you ready to focus. It could be for example - 
1. Make a cup of tea. 
2. Do a quick sketch or doodle. 
3. Put some music on. 

2. Goals
At the end of the final stint of work for the day I will quickly jot down 3-5 simple goals or reminders for the next day. They are on a post it note. Some days they don't get looked at, let alone done - but the key is I have a focus for my next session of work if I need them.

3. 5 Minutes
When I can't 'get started' I commit to digging deep and doing at least 5 minutes work. It is the same when I am exercising - the first steps are the most difficult. 99.9% of the time, I keep going, somehow  finding motivation and creativity. 
I spend 5 minutes clearing and reordering my desk at the end of the day.

4. Self Awareness
After much time at a desk I am now an expert and knowing when I have 'hit the wall' so to speak, or not using my time wisely. My mind is wandering I feel a heaviness that I know I cannot ignore.  I get up from the desk and do something totally different - housework, a stretch, get come fresh air, let my mind wander. 

5. Sit/Stand
I've used a standing/sitting arrangement for working at my computer for the last year and cannot recommend it highly enough.  


These practises are also considerations I take to my 'in-the-classroom teacher desk'. My creative work at home has helped me develop fantastic time management practices in my teacher work. Additional paperwork and documentation can be a significant contributor to stress and fatigue as a teacher - but if you develop some routine habits that you commit to - over time this aspect of your work can become much more manageable.


Thanks so much for stopping by today, if you would like some goodies for your desk space, be sure to sign up to my newsletter on my sidebar and check out these past posts!

Because if there was a #6 - it would be to make your desk a place you want to be. If you don't love it or use it - get rid of it! Think about ways you could make your space visually reflect the work you want to achieve! 

- Mel x